Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Eau Sauvage .. what to do with you ?

This is arguably the first major classic fragrance that I will be reviewing on my channel. It's really hard to judge a fragrance that has such a cult following , and it's even harder when your opinion differs to the rest of the world. I know this is a fragrance that has been on the market since the 60's and I had to really open my mind that this is one of the pioneer's in the fragrance game for masculines. Well first and foremost yes this fragrance will be reviewed in May and it took me a while to really understand what this fragrance is about, there is so much history attached to this classic.

My first impressions of this is yes it's a classic and yes it stood the test of time for so long and it has it's fans (basenotes has like 120 likes to 20 negs) and almost religious followers. Do I think this is something I would wear on the regular ?? Not at all actually . Would I recommend this to my subscribers ??? No not really, unless someone is really looking for something like this. Do I think it's well made ? To a certain point yes ! I like it but not enough to wear on a day to day occasion. I think it's something every cologne head needs to smell, the smell of the past.

Overall I love the opening to this , then it just goes downhill from there. This might be the first review I feel that I am taking a classic that lots of the experienced frag heads respect and love and actually give it a fairly bland score. I respect it (kinda like rive gauche pour homme by ysl) but it's not for me.

2 comments:

  1. Lemony basil over smooth woods...I like this stuff! I saw someone describe it as brightness in a bottle, and I don't think that's too far off. Still, I can see why you might not like it. It definitely isn't for everyone - but it's hard to deny that it's a really well made fragrance.

    Chanel Pour Monsieur (the original, not the concentrée) reminds me of Eau Sauvage - and I actually prefer it. But they both have a place on my shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely stuff this. Perhaps not very popular with a young audience. Most likely because it doesn't smell of bubble gum, candy or sweet fruit. Fresh, clean and mature. A classic and for a good reason. I really warmed up to this one after sampling it a couple of times. So much so I bought a 100 ml bottle while in France this summer. Works wonders in the summer heat but in fact is perfect for any occasion.
    Grandpa smell? I wish every grandpa smelled of Eau Sauvage.

    ReplyDelete